5 Tips on Reporting a Workplace Injury to Your Employer
1) An injury should be reported to your immediate supervisor as soon as it occurs. If the severity of the injury or some other circumstance prevents you from making an immediate report, a coworker who witnesses the accident/injury may report it to your supervisor.
2) File a written accident report with your employer (either through your supervisor or human resources) the day the injury occurs, and keep a copy for your records. If the injury is related to repetitive action, state that in your report.
3) If the injury requires you to miss work or accrue medical bills, you're probably eligible for workers’ compensation. You may need to file a claim with the Workers’ Compensation Commission.
In Kansas you have three years to file an application for hearing (the KS equivalent of a claim for compensation). In Missouri you have two years, unless your employer fails to file a report of an injury. In that case you would have three years. An experienced workers' compensation attorney can help you decide where and how to file a claim if you run into problems.
4) Keep a thorough record of everything pertaining to your injury. Record conversations with doctors, company executives, and anything that may be relevant to your case. Even if these items aren't required for legal purposes, it will be an important way for you to make sure you receive the compensation you deserve and don't incur any unnecessary debt.
5) Get an off-work, light-duty, or return-to-work slip from your doctor following each visit subsequent to the injury. This is necessary to receive benefits and will also help you keep track of your recovery.
If you've suffered from a workplace injury in Kansas City, you need a Kansas City workers' comp attorney who knows the laws in both states and can help you with all the intricacies of filing a claim. Our attorneys can help. Contact us today to get started!
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "5 Tips on Reporting a Workplace Injury to Your Employer"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."