Q What Should I Do If I Was a Pedestrian Injured in a Car Accident?
If you're seriously injured in a car accident as a pedestrian, of course immediately seek the necessary medical care. Call the police immediately and don't leave the scene of the accident before help arrives.
While on the scene, if possible, you should carefully document your accident by recording any injuries you sustained, obtaining the contact information of any witnesses to the accident, and reporting the accident to the proper authorities.
Don't make any statements to anyone, including drivers and insurers. The person who may be legally responsible for the incident might try to claim you somehow caused the accident, and you don’t want to say something inadvertently that could be turned around and used against you in court.
Instead, it's best to hire an attorney as soon as possible. With the help of a car accident attorney who understands your full rights, you may be able to recover damages for the following:
- Medical bills, including emergency room fees, surgical procedures, and any other hospital costs
- Lost wages resulting from your injury
- Costs of rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Disability or disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death, including loss of companionship and loss of financial support (if your spouse, for example, was also involved in the accident and was killed)
- Other out-of-pocket expenses resulting from the accident
If you've been hit by a car and have any questions, contact us today to speak with an attorney for free. Call us today at 816-842-7100 to speak with an attorney that will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Or you can click here to email us and schedule your free consultation.