The Johnson County Health Department said it has recently discovered cryptosporidiosis in local swimming pools after multiple residents were diagnosed.
Lougene Marsh of JCDHE said “At this time, we have three confirmed cases and we are tracking a few more possible cases in the community. We encourage everyone to wash their hands frequently and ensure their children take frequent breaks from the pool to prevent accidents.”
Johnson County Health Department is working closely with pool operators in Shawnee and Overland Park to treat swimming pools that have been in contact with infected individuals.
The city of Shawnee has performed a shock treatment to the pool and claims that the pool in question completely clears any potential danger from the water, according to a press release.
The pool affected in Overland Park is a private pool that is owned by a neighborhood association. The pool has been closed and is currently being treated.
So what exactly is cryptosporidiosis? It is a microscopic parasite that causes symptoms of diarrhea, abdominal cramps, fever, nausea and vomiting. The symptoms usually begin between two and 10 days after becoming infected and can last up to two weeks. The parasite is spread by contact with stools from infected people or animals. Consumption of food or water and by person to person or animal to animal contact can increase your odds of showing symptoms of cryptosporidiosis, according to JCDHE.
Most people with healthy immune systems recover without needing treatment. However, people with weakened immune systems are at a higher risk of having more severe symptoms and the disease can last longer.
If you have been infected of cryptosporidiosis in a swimming pool that has been closed for cleaning, contact a physician to get any necessary treatment. After that, contact Castle Law at 816-842-7100 to speak to an attorney. Or, you can email us and schedule your free consultation.