April is designated as Distracted Driving Awareness Month to help raise awareness about the dangers and consequences of distracted driving. It may not feel like it, but your life is at risk the second you enter a vehicle. Practicing safe driving habits and eliminating distractions could end up saving you from a lot more than just a citation for distracted driving. Texting while driving is illegal in 47 states, including Kansas, and is illegal in Missouri for all drivers under the age of 21. Many of us at Castle Law Office are familiar with the consequences of distracted driving, and we urge you to familiarize yourself with safe driving habits.
“Driving isn’t a right, it’s a privilege.” The #JustDrive prevention program challenges communities to make the pledge to eliminate all distractions when behind the wheel. Kansas City is not immune to the distracted driving epidemic, and it is our responsibility as a community to emphasize the seriousness of distracted driving.
Here are a few tips to help you avoid a distracted driving relating accident.
- Take the #JustDrive challenge
- Put your phone away, or turn it off before getting behind the wheel
- Share your concerns with your friends and family
- Pick a playlist or radio station before putting your vehicle in gear
- Voice your concerns if you are in the car with someone who is texting and driving
- Cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million accidents each year (NSC)
- Around 390,000 injuries are caused by texting and driving related accidents each year (NHTSA)
- 9 people die and another 100 are injured every day
- 660,000 people are currently using their cellphone while driving a vehicle (NHTSA)
- Motor vehicle accidents are among the top 5 causes of death
- 73% of people who responded to a public poll said that they think there should be more texting and driving laws
NSC Distracted Driving White Paper: https://www.nsc.org/Portals/0/Documents/DistractedDrivingDocuments/Cognitive-Distraction-White-Paper.pdf?ver=2018-03-09-130423-967
In the unfortunate scenario that you are involved in a car crash, it may be important that you call a personal injury lawyer. The car accident attorneys at Castle Law Office are in Kansas City and we are here, right here, fighting for you. If you have been injured in a car accident call us at 816-842-7100 or click here to contact our Castle Law Car Accident Attorneys in Kansas City.