Castle Law Office will be closed on Wednesday, December 25th and will be open again on Thursday, December 26th. We wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Happy New Year.
Christmas doesn’t come without risks, but being prepared and aware of your surroundings can help keep you and your loved ones out of harm’s way during tomorrow’s festivities! From getting cut by scissors while unwrapping gifts to getting electrocuted by the lights on the Christmas tree - here are some of the most common causes of accidents that occur on Christmas Day.
Christmas Related Injuries
Each year there are well over 10,000 injuries caused by Christmas-related activities. Here are some of the most common ones to avoid:
- Slips and Falls
- Electric and Injury from Lighting
- Injuries from a Christmas Tree
- Injuries from Choking
- Injuries from opening Presents
- Injuries from Alcohol
- Injuries from Cooking
- Injuries from reckless driving
Don’t Drink and Drive
More impaired drivers take to the road on Christmas Day and New Year’s day compared to any other time of the year. The NHTSA hosts the “Driver Sober or Get Pulled Over” campaign from December 14th through January 1st to help raise awareness about the number of alcohol-related incidents during the holiday season. Alcohol contributes to more than 40 percent of all fatalities that are caused by automobile accidents during Christmas and New Year’s with drivers between the ages of 21 to 34 being involved more frequently compared to any other age group. The consequences of drinking and driving can stick with an individual for a lifetime, so we urge everyone to think twice before getting behind the wheel after having a drink.
Kansas City Holiday Charity Organizations
Here’s a list of a few of the organizations who are helping families in our community this holiday:
- Salvation Army: https://centralusa.salvationarmy.org/mokan/
- Operation Breakthrough: https://operationbreakthrough.org/how-you-can-help/christmas-program
- Kansas City Rescue Mission: https://www.shelterkc.org/thanksgiving-shelter-kc/
- Sack it for Santa: https://fox4kc.com/tag/sack-it-for-santa/
- Kansas City Holiday Assistance: https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html/kansas_city_free_christmas_and.html
- Johnson County Christmas Bureau: http://www.jccb.org/
- Ronald McDonald House of KC: https://www.rmhckc.org/holidays-at-rmhc-kansas-city/
- KVC Kansas: https://kansas.kvc.org/get-involved/holiday-giving/
- Children’s Mercy: https://www.childrensmercy.org/help-our-kids/donate-goods/
- Uncoverkc: https://uncoverkc.org/
- reStart, Inc.: https://restartinc.org/
Best wishes to all those who are traveling for the holiday. If you or a loved one have been injured due to someone else’s negligence this holiday, you deserve an attorney that will fight to get you the compensation you deserve to cover your medical bills, pain, financial loss and other damages. Call Castle Law Office at 816-842-7100 or you can click here to email us.
** Our office will be closed on Wednesday, December 25th. We will resume our normal schedule on Thursday, December 26th. Please contact our office if you need to speak with an attorney.