Automobile accidents are the number one cause of death of children under the age of 13. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) sponsors Child Passenger Safety Week to help raise awareness for child passenger safety. This year’s campaign will run from September 15-21.
Many children are either not properly secured to their car seat or are not riding in the proper car seat. Fortunately, since a large percentage of injuries and deaths involving children are preventable, we can take steps now to reduce those statistics. Both Kansas and Missouri offer free safety checks on car seats. This helps parents ensure that their child is in the right car seat for their age, weight, and height and that the car seat has been installed properly.
- Children under 1 should ride in a certified child rear-facing car seat.
- Children ages 1, 2 & 3 should ride in a rear-facing car seat for as long as possible or until they reach the maximum height or weight limit allowed by the manufacturer.
- A booster seat is required for children ages 4, 5, 6, & 7 unless they weigh more than 80 lbs., or are taller than 4 ft. 9 in. or if only a lap belt is available.
- Children under 1 or under 20 lbs. should stay in a rear-facing safety seat
- Children under the age of 4 or weighing under 40 pounds require proper child passenger restraint system
- Children ages 4 through 7 who weigh over 40 lbs. must be in a child passenger restraint system or a booster seat until they weigh over 80 lbs. or are taller than 4 ft. 9 in.
- Children 8 years and older, children over 80 lbs., or more than 4 ft 9 in may ride with only a fastened seatbelt.
Kansas & Missouri Car Seat Safety Check
- Kansas Car Seat Inspection Locations (2019): https://www.safekids.org/events/field_coalition/safe-kids-kansas/field_type/check-event
Contact Castle Law Office if you would like to speak with one of our attorneys about your injury accident. Each case is diligently and thoroughly investigated, and clients are treated with a high level of care and respect that they deserve. Contact our office today or stop by for Walk in Wednesday to get started. There is no cost for your initial consultation. We are here, right here, fighting for you every step of the way.