Car accidents are a leading cause of death and injury in the United States. In Kansas and Missouri, the top five causes of motor vehicle collisions are distracted driving, speeding, drunk driving, reckless driving, and improper lane changes. These accidents can have devastating consequences for the victims and their families. In addition to the physical injuries, car accidents can also lead to financial hardship, emotional trauma, and even death. In this blog post, we will discuss the top five causes of car accidents in Kansas and Missouri. We will also provide tips on how to prevent these accidents and keep yourself and others safe on the road.
In Kansas and Missouri, the top five causes of car accidents are:
- Distracted driving. This is the number one cause of collisions in both Kansas and Missouri. Distracted driving can involve anything from texting and talking on the phone to eating and grooming.
- Speeding. Speeding is another major factor in car accidents. When drivers exceed the speed limit, they have less time to react to hazards and are more likely to lose control of their vehicles.
- Drunk driving. Drunk driving is a serious problem in Kansas and Missouri. In 2021, there were over 1,000 DUI-related traffic fatalities in Kansas and Missouri.
- Reckless driving. This includes behaviors such as tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, and running red lights. Reckless driving can lead to serious accidents, even if the driver is not under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Aggressive driving. This includes behaviors such as cutting off other drivers, honking the horn excessively, and making rude gestures. Aggressive driving can escalate into road rage, which can lead to violent accidents.
These are just the top five causes of car accidents in Kansas and Missouri. There are many other factors that can contribute to accidents, such as fatigue, bad weather, and mechanical problems. It is important to be aware of the top causes of car accidents so that you can take steps to avoid them. Here are some tips for preventing car accidents:
- Do not drive distracted. Put your phone away and focus on the road.
- Obey the speed limit. Speeding is dangerous and can lead to serious accidents.
- Do not drink and drive. Even if you think you are sober, it is not worth the risk.
- Drive defensively. Be aware of your surroundings and be prepared for the unexpected.
- Get enough sleep before driving. Fatigue can impair your judgment and reaction time.
- Maintain your car regularly. Make sure your car is in good working order and that your tires are properly inflated.
- By following these tips, you can help to keep yourself and others safe on the road.
In the unfortunate event that you are involved in a car crash, it may be important that you call a personal injury lawyer. The car accident attorneys at Castle Law Office are in Kansas City and we are here, right here, fighting for you. If you have been injured in a motor vehicle collision, call us at 816-842-7100 or click here to contact our Castle Law Injury Attorneys right here in Kansas City.
Kansas Department of Transportation: https://www.ksdot.org/
Missouri Department of Transportation: https://www.modot.org/
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: https://www.nhtsa.gov/