A fender bender, often considered a minor incident, is defined as car accident that takes place at a slower speed with minimal complications. Injuries are still possible as well as damage to your vehicle. Simply because a fender bender is considered a less severe car accident doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be aware of what you should do if you ever find yourself in this situation. These types of accidents are common in Kansas City.

A collision of any kind can be shocking, especially if you’ve never been in an accident before. Here’s a rundown of what you should do if you are involved in a fender bender.


While a fender bender is typically minor, it is still possible to sustain injury. Neck and back injuries can present themselves after a fender bender. If you think you may have suffered injuries, our personal injury attorneys will recommend that you seek medical care and collect all medical documentation relating to the incident .


Depending on the cause of the fender bender, there may be more serious issues at play. While alerting the authorities of a fender bender is not necessarily required by law in ??????? (it may required in MO and KS), it is recommended for car accidents of any kind.

(NOTE: MO Law: Statutory reference: Section 303.040, RSMo.

You must report accidents that happen in Missouri to the Driver License Bureau if:

  • The accident happened less than one year ago,
  • The accident involved an uninsured motorist, AND
  • The accident caused property damage costing more than $500, or someone was injured or killed.

NOTE: If the accident did not cause $500 in property damage or personal injury or death, you may still file an accident report if there was an uninsured motorist involved. The bureau will only be able to take action under Section 303.041

KS: In Kansas, most accidents must be reported to local police departments.

KSA 8-1604

(b) If no police officer is present, the driver of any vehicle involved in such accident, or any occupant of such vehicle 18 years of age or older, shall immediately report such accident, by the quickest available means of communication, to the nearest office of a duly authorized police authority if:

(1) There is apparently property damage of $1,000 or more;

(2) any person involved in the accident is injured or killed; or

(3) the persons specified in subsection (a) are not present or in condition to receive such information.

A police report can certainly add to any documentation you may need as you seek compensation from an insurance company.


Even a minor car accident can leave your car with damages. It’s important to treat this like any other crash. Take photos and any notes that might be helpful for when you speak with the insurance provider. It might seem a bit overkill, but there’s no such thing as too many details when it comes to dealing with insurance adjusters.

Consider specific details such as road conditions, distracted drivers, and the like. Insurance companies will do anything in their power to minimize your settlement, so it’s important to be well prepared.


We recommend that you find an attorney to help you during this process. Insurance adjusters are well versed in tactics that will keep settlement money out of your hands. Injuries, property damage, and time spent dealing with the aftermath of a fender bender can leave you in a bit of financial hardship. Odds are that if you file a claim and plan to handle the situation on your own, you might miss out on compensation.

If you or a loved one have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you deserve an attorney that will fight to get you the compensation you deserve to cover your medical bills, pain, financial loss, and other damages. You may only need an attorney once in your life, and if you do, we are here, right here, fighting for you. Call Castle Law Office at 816-842-7100 or you can click here to email us.

You can also schedule a free consultation with us online at https://calendly.com/castlelaw-kc

Jason C. Amerine
Connect with me
President and Owner, Castle Law Office of Kansas City
Post A Comment