Being in a car accident is a stressful and often traumatic experience. If the other driver is uninsured, that can cause even more stress. If you find yourself in this situation, it's important to know what to do next. At Castle Law Office, our team of personal injury lawyers are here to help Kansas City victims get compensated after an accident.

In any crash, with or without insurance, there are some steps you should take to protect yourself, your claim, and your rights. Stay calm, call the police even if the crash seems minor, exchange information with the other driver, including name, phone number, and insurance information, take pictures of the property damage to both vehicles, seek medical treatment, file an insurance claim, and speak to an attorney. 

If the other driver does not have insurance, you still have options and may be able to pursue the claim through your own auto insurance so it is important to have coverage and sufficient limits to protect yourself from negligent drivers who are uninsured or even underinsured.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Uninsured motorist coverage is available in Kansas and Missouri but the requirements vary from state to state. In some states, you're required to have uninsured motorist coverage, while in other states, it's optional. Check your insurance coverage today, talk to your agent, and make sure you have uninsured motorist coverage. Keep in mind that uninsured motorist coverage may compensate you for your injuries; however, it will not compensate you for your property damage so collision coverage is also important when involved in a collision with an uninsured driver.

Missouri Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Kansas Uninsured Motorist Coverage  

How to File an Uninsured Motorist Claim

If you're injured in an auto accident with an uninsured driver, you'll need to file a claim with your own auto insurance company. To file a claim, you'll need to provide your insurance company with the following information:

  • The date and time of the crash
  • The location of the accident
  • The names and contact information of the other drivers involved in the accident
  • The make, model, and license plate number of the other vehicles involved in the accident
  • A brief description of your injuries
  • A list of places you’ve treated
  • Any lost wages you've incurred as a result of the crash

Your insurance company will then investigate your claim and decide whether or not to pay it. If your insurance company denies your claim, you may be able to appeal the decision. You may also want to talk to an attorney to discuss your legal options.

Another potential option, in Misosuri, is the Tort Victims Compensation Fund (TVCF). If you are involved in a car crash with a negligent driver who doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have sufficient insurance, and you have already recovered under your own insurance, you may be eligible to submit a claim to the TVCF. We can assist with that, too.

Missouri Tort Victims Compensation Fund Information

If you or a loved one have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you deserve an attorney that will fight for the compensation you deserve to cover your medical bills, pain, financial loss, and other damages. You may only need an attorney once in your life, and if you do, we are here, right here, fighting for you. 

Call Castle Law Office at 816-842-7100 or you click here to email us.

Jason C. Amerine
Connect with me
President and Owner, Castle Law Office of Kansas City
Post A Comment