If you suspect nursing home abuse, it's advisable to consult an attorney as early as possible. In many cases you'll be able to press both criminal charges as well as seek financial compensation through a civil lawsuit.

The first step in pressing charges is reporting the abuse to adult protective services and to your local police. Once the abuse is reported, law enforcement will launch an investigation to see if there's evidence of abuse occurring. In addition, the investigation will determine if your loved one could still be in danger of abuse or mistreatment. They'll determine whether the abuse is widespread, and what the nature of the abuse actually was.

From there, it's up to the police and the local prosecutor to determine whether there's enough evidence to pursue criminal charges against the abuser.

Separately, you may decide to file a civil lawsuit against the nursing home that allowed the abuse to happen. You don't have to press criminal charges in order to have a strong civil case.

Our office can advise you as to whether you have a good case against the nursing home. We take your case on a contingency fee basis.

Call us today at 816-842-7100 to speak with an attorney that will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Or you can click here to email us and schedule your free consultation.