The Kansas "No Pay, No Play" statute (also known as SB 136) was passed in May 2011.

The nickname "No Pay, No Play" reflects the policy's purpose: it's meant to discourage uninsured driving — which is already illegal - by limiting certain compensation after an accident if you haven't paid into an insurance policy.

According to the law, if you're uninsured at the time of your Kansas auto accident and the crash was the other driver's fault, their insurance company only has to reimburse you for economic damages, like property damage and medical bills. You're not entitled to non-economic damages, like pain and suffering.

However, there's an exception to the rule: If you've been uninsured fewer than 45 days at the time of a Kansas car accident, and prior to becoming uninsured you had car insurance continually for one year, the statute won't apply to you, and you may be able to recover both economic and non-economic damages.

Several other states have "No Pay, No Play" policies besides Kansas. They include: Alaska, California, Iowa, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, North Dakota and Oregon. Oklahoma previously had such a law, but this was struck down by the Oklahoma Supreme Court in 2014.

Remember, the law doesn't prevent injured drivers from filing a claim, no matter what their insurance status. It only limits the extent of that claim. So if you've been injured in a Kansas car accident, you should still seek the help of a lawyer, because you can still get compensation.

If you've been in a car accident, call us today at 816-842-7100 to speak with an attorney that will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Or you can click here to email us and schedule your free consultation.