When nursing home abuse is suspected, the first step is to call your local adult protective services office and police immediately. You don't need to have proof of the abuse to file a police report and start an investigation.

Reporting the abuse will trigger an investigation to assess whether your loved one is in immediate danger of further harm and will determine the nature and extent of the abuse. Symptoms of elder abuse that may seem insignificant at first may later be determined to be serious and potentially life threatening.

Contacting the police and adult protective services as soon as possible may also help ensure your loved one is protected from further abuse, especially if you can't get to them or provide an alternative to the nursing home in a timely manner.

The investigation may result in other nursing home residents being protected from further harm if evidence reveals that other people have been abused.

The National Center on Elder Abuse offers several resources for those who need to report abuse of an elderly loved one. You can also access the Eldercare Locator hotline on weekdays for state specific information at: 1-800-677-1116.

You should contact a nursing home abuse attorney as early in the process as possible. While you may not want to file a civil claim at this point, by contacting an attorney you can determine your best course of action.

Our nursing home attorneys in Kansas City investigate the case for you and will often look into details faster than law enforcement or government services will. We can help you figure out if your fears are justified and whether or not you have a nursing home abuse case. Call us today at 816-842-7100 to speak with an attorney that will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Or you can click here to email us and schedule your free consultation.