There are a few types of compensation that you can ask for: compensatory damages, punitive damages and nominal damages.

Compensatory Damages
Compensatory damages are meant to reimburse you for your injury. There are two types of compensatory damages: actual damages and general damages.

Actual damages reimburse you for money that you paid out of pocket, such as lost wages, property replacement, medical bills, rehabilitation, substitute transportation or other things that you have paid money for because of your injury.

General damages reimburse you for things that you have not paid money for, yet still experience a loss. This includes harm to your marriage, future lost wages, emotional suffering, disfigurement, among other examples.

Punitive Damages
Courts may order the defendant to pay the plaintiff punitive damages, which are meant to punish the defendant for his or her actions, if he or she is found to have acted intentionally or maliciously.

Nominal Damages
If there is little evidence of actual damages, the courts may still choose to award you a small sum of money to acknowledge that the defendant legally wronged you. Nominal damages can only be asked for in cases where intentional harm has been done.

If you have suffered an injury in Kansas and Missouri, contact Castle Law Office for the knowledgeable representation you need and the personal attention you deserve.

Call us today at 816-842-7100 to speak with an attorney that will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Or you can click here to email us and schedule your free consultation. 

Jason C. Amerine
Connect with me
President and Owner, Castle Law Office of Kansas City