We've been providing bankruptcy services in Missouri and Kansas for over two decades. During that time, we've seen the number of individuals who are victims of debt collection scams increase substantially. Our Kansas City bankruptcy lawyer shared some important information to help keep you and your loved ones safe and protected from debt collection scams and other types of fraud.
Warning Signs of Debt Collection Scams
- Caller withholds financial and personal information from you
- Caller pressure to pay by money transfer or prepaid card
- Caller falsely threatens you with Jail time or poses as a government official
- Caller claims that they will inform your family, friends or employer
- The debt claim isn't recognizable
- Tries to retrieve personal information.
How to Stay Protected Against Debt Collection Scams in Kansas City
- Ask for a call back number, name of individual contacting you, and the name of the business.
- Request a written notice of the debt and information relating to the collection request
- Contact the original creditor or loan company to confirm the collection request.
- Review your credit report and score
- Contact Castle Law Office and speak with one of our bankruptcy attorneys
Why These Types of Scams on the Rise
A combination of the lack of resources available during the pandemic paired with an increase in the number of individuals with financial concerns are among the largest contributing factors to the rise in scams and fraudulent activity in 2020. In fact, a SurveyMonkey poll conducted last month found that "46% of Americans reported receiving spam phone calls, and another 24% receiving them multiple times per week."
You've most likely been on the receiving end of a scam call. In addition to stealing money, some of these scammers are stealing consumer’s information and then committing identity theft – opening bank accounts in their names, writing fraudulent checks and opening fake credit cards in their names. There are several resources available from state and federal agencies if you suspect that you or a loved one may have been a victim of a debt collection scam. We also provide free consultations and welcome any who have questions about bankruptcy or debt collection scams.
Report Fraud in Kansas & Missouri:
Contact Our Kansas City Bankruptcy Lawyer to Help Get Out of Debt the Right Way
Our Kansas City bankruptcy lawyer can help you get out of scams and debt the safe way. Remember that you should never give out personal information over the phone. If you have any questions about these tactics, call us today at 816-842-6200 to speak with an attorney or fill out the contact form here. Our Kansas City bankruptcy lawyer wants to make sure that our clients are protected during their bankruptcy process.