As soon as you have been in an auto accident, the place where you needed to be loses priority. Now you are faced with a new set of tasks. If you have been injured, your first thought is on your personal health and the health of the others involved in the collision. Your next thought is likely about the damage done to the vehicle.
As you assess the situation, there are some important things you must remember to do. Here is a checklist of steps you must take:
- Stay Calm. As you assess the extent of everyone’s injuries and the damage to the vehicles, the most important thing you must do at this time is to stay calm. Getting upset or emotional can cause unnecessary stress and make a bad situation worse.
- File a Report with the Police. Immediately following the collision, it is important to notify emergency personnel. Once they arrive, give only the necessary information. While the report is being filed it is important that you only give out details to the police and do not discuss the accident with other witnesses or the other party. Doing so may hurt your case.
- Get the Right Information. In the event of an accident, it is important to exchange information with the other party. This should include as much contact information as possible and insurance information.
- Call Your Insurance Agent. Regardless of who is at fault, you will need to notify your insurance agent of what just happened. When speaking to any insurance company, it is important to only give out the required information and not provide any unnecessary details. Do not admit responsibility for causing the accident.
- Contact a Kansas City Auto Accident Attorney. The sooner you get in touch with an attorney to help your case, the better off you will be. Our lawyers will help you know what to say and what details you must give. This will allow you to not get tricked by any insurance agencies and give you a better chance at a fair settlement.
If you have been involved in an auto accident, it is important to stay calm and seek help immediately. Avoid speaking to anyone except for the police and your attorney.
Call us today at 816-842-7100 to speak with an attorney that will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Or you can click here to email us and schedule your free consultation.